Sushi with Roasted Vegetables
Although it is common to make nigiri (hand-shaped) sushi with seafood, it is difficult to handle it at home. However, it is easy to make it when using vegetables as an ingredient. Make sure to use only a small portion of rice and keep the size small because using too much rice can cause difficulty when shaping the sushi.
For the Sushi rice:
Vinegar a little over 1 tbsp
Sugar 2 tbsp
Salt a little over1/2 tsp
Bell peppers (red & yellow) 1/4 each
Raw mushroom 1
Green onion 7cm
Roasted laver (cut into the size of 1x10cm) 4 pieces
Olive oil proper quantity
Salt proper quantity
- 1 Rinse rice for a few times in cold water and put it into a pot and pour water. Close the lid before cooking and cook it at high heat. When it starts boiling, reduce the heat to low and cook for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave it for 10 minutes to let it steam without opening the lid.
- 2 Put vinegar, sugar and salt in a bowl and mix to make the sushi vinegar. Then put the rice (1) into the shallow bowl and mix with the mixture of sushi vinegar to take the heat off.
- 3 Prepare the vegetable filling as follows: Eggplant: cut lengthwise (7mm) Bell pepper: cut (7mm) Raw mushroom: cut into half obliquely Green onion: cut into half lengthwise Roasted laver: cut into 1x10cm
- 4 Put the vegetables on the oven plate, put olive oil on the vegetables with a brush. Then roast them until nicely charred
- 5 Divide (2) sushi rice into ten parts and make the shape of sushi with your hands and put (4) vegetable fillings on top. Then sprinkle salt. Use roasted laver to affix bell pepper.
*The title of The Japan Vegetable Sommelier Association