Bicolored Oshi (Pressed) Sushi of Cabbage
Oshi sushi can be made easily using a mold. The best thing about this sushi is that even those, who have never made sushi before, can make it easily. The ingredients can be those introduced, grilled vegetables, mushrooms cooked with soy sauce and sake, etc. If you eat it at home with your family, it can be served with green vegetables seasoned with soy sauce as well. This way makes a side dish of delicious sushi.
For the Sushi rice:
Vinegar 1 2/3 tbsp
Sugar 1 tbsp
Salt 1/2 tsp
Violet cabbage 25g
Salt a pinch
Vinegar 3 tbs
Lemon juice 2 tsp
Salt a little less than 1/4 tsp
Olive oil a little more than 2 tbs
- 1 Rinse rice for a few times in cold water and put it into a pot and pour water. Close the lid before cooking and cook it at high heat. When it starts boiling, reduce the heat to low and cook for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave it for 10 minutes to let it steam without opening the lid.
- 2 Put vinegar, sugar and salt in a bowl and mix to make the sushi vinegar. Then put the rice (1) into the shallow bowl and mix with the mixture of sushi vinegar to take the heat off.
- 3 Then cut the cabbages separately and put them respectively. Mix with salt and leave them for 5 minutes, then drain off the water.
- 4 Mix the contents of (A) and marinate cabbages separately.
- 5 Prepare two rectangle-shaped containers that can be stacked. Put the plastic wrap on the bottom and spread (4) for about 2 to 3 cm and then put (2) on top.
- 6 Put another container on top of (5) in order to press the sushi.
- 7 After it’s been pressed, turn the container upside down and carefully put the contents out using the plastic wrap. Then cut it and put them on the dish. Do the same with the Violet Cabbage.
*The title of The Japan Vegetable Sommelier Association