Temari*1 Sushi for Holiday Season
Temari sushi, a ball shaped cute looking finger food, is a popular party food in Japan. It is suitable for a potluck party when being wrapped with cling wrap as it is easy to carry. The ingredients can be anything you like. You can try making Temari sushi with thinly sliced pickles, marinated vegetables, salt-marinated soft cabbage, etc.
*1”Temari” is a Japanese decorative ball made of thread
For the Sushi rice: 9 balls
Vinegar 1 2/3 tbsp
Sugar 1 tbsp
Salt 1/2 tsp
For fillings: 3 balls each
Salt, Sesame oil 1/4 tsp each
Radish 3 pieces
Salt a pinch
Yuzukosho*2 1/5 tsp
(*2Japanese seasoning, paste made from chili pepper, yuzu peel, and salt, and then allowed to ferment.)
Pickled plum 1 small size
Salt 1/4 tsp
Vinegar 1 tsp
Tofu 100g (1/3 of regular size)
Red paprika 1
Parsley proper quantity
- 1 Please prepare the followings: A: Parboil watercress for 5 seconds and cut into chunks, then dress with salt and sesame oil.
- 2 B: Slice radish and dress with salt and Yuzukosho.
- 3 C: Cut paprika into 7-mm square and parboil for 10 seconds, then mix with crushed pickled plum.
- 4 Rinse rice for a few times in cold water and put it into a pot and pour water. Close the lid before cooking and cook it at high heat. When it starts boiling, reduce the heat to low and cook for 10 minutes. Turn off the heat and leave it for 10 minutes to let it steam without opening the lid.
- 5 Put vinegar, sugar and salt in a bowl and mix to make the sushi vinegar. Then put the rice (2) into the shallow bowl and mix with the mixture of sushi vinegar to take the heat off.
- 6 Then make hand-gripped sushi as follows: A: Spread the plastic wrap (10x10cm) on your palm and put 1/3 of A, and put 35g of rice (3) on top. Then turn the edge of the plastic wrap so that you can get the ball form.
- 7 B: Spread the plastic wrap (10x10cm) on your palm and put 1/3 of B, and put 35g of rice (3) on top. Then turn the edge of the plastic wrap so that you can get the ball form.
- 8 C: Mix what is left of (3) and C first. Then spread the plastic wrap (10x10cm) on your palm and put 1/3 of this and turn the edge of the plastic wrap so that you can get the ball form.
- 9 Crush Tofu and mix it with D. Put the Temari Sushi (sushi balls) on a plate and put Tofu, thinly-sliced paprika and torn parsley appropriately.
*The title of The Japan Vegetable Sommelier Association